Technology becomes more and more integrated into our lives every single day. Upgrades of iPhones, new Android apps, multiple types of tablets, phones for your tablets, tablets for your tablets... the evolution of technology is astounding and unstoppable. The more new gadgets that come out the more we think we need them, and the more we become engulfed in what we're holding in our hands rather than what surrounds us in our everyday lives. In the Ted talks I watched, Pattie Maes discusses Sixth Sense technology, technology that utilizes our natural body language and gestures to create and control tech.
While watching the video titled "Pattie Maes and Pranav Mistry demo SixthSense," I paid close attention to the clip Pattie showed of Pranav Mistry using the SixthSence technology in studio and out on the street. I thought the motion to take a picture (framing your index fingers and thumbs to create a rectangle) was really interesting!! As a photographer, I do that on occasion when trying to frame something in my mind, so I thought using that gesture as a tool to take pictures with their SixthSense photography. From that example alone, I have a clear sense of what their goal is as a technology producing company. Is it realistic? That is something I'm a bit less clear on.
The post processing work that the SixthSense technology seems like a step backwards, in my opinion. If someone is out with their smart phone, they can take a photo, edit with apps, and post online literally within minutes of taking the picture. With SixthSense they have to take it back to the studio in order for any post processing (photos for this example) to happen. It draws out the 'sharing' time which is often the reason people take the photos to begin with - to share online with their friends, expanding their handheld technology onto social networking technology and more.
The biggest drawback about where our culture is going with technology is the idea that reality is more interesting when it has some type of technological correlation. Facebook has given us the tools to continuously keep in touch with our friends and encouraged us to share with multiple mediums. When I was out for dinner the other night, I paid attention to how often my friends and I would bring up something Facebook related, "Oh I saw your post about that band coming into town! We should go!" or "Your pictures of your new apartment are so cute, I saw them on Facebook!" Conversation redirects to include one of our most frequently used communication tools, which can be good or bad. It's good because we can share with a broader audience, it's bad because the information we're giving our audience is less intentional and more passive.
Technology as a whole has definitely redirected our growth, market, and social focus for our everyday lives and our futures. We're using our bodies less and our minds more. With SixthSense is trying to do is give people back the ability their body has while still having it be involved with technology in some way. I think the concept is brilliant, but the execution of it must be solid and compliment the fast technology market in order for it to take off.
Sources:
The Thrilling Potential of SixthSense Technology. Perf. Pattie Maes. TED Talks, 2009. Web.
Pattie Maes and Pranav Mistry demo SixthSense. Perf. Pattie Maes. TED Talks, 2009. Web.
No comments:
Post a Comment